This Asian-inspired baklava cheesecake is the perfect treat if you are looking to impress someone. It looks a bit complicated, but it’s actually super easy to make and beginner-friendly. It looks, tastes, and smells amazing thanks to the heavenly aroma of cinnamon, lemon, and rosewater.
Baklava CheesecakeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Morderate
- For The Baklava Layers:
Phyllo pastry sheets – 16 ounces
Walnuts, roasted – 2 ½ cups
Unsalted butter, melted – ½ cup
- For The Baklava Sysup:
Water – 1 cup
Honey, liquid – ¼ cup
Granulated sugar – 5 ounces
The juice of 1 lemon, fresh
The zest of ½ lemon, sliced
Rose water – 2 tabelspoons
1 Cinnamon stick
- For The Cheesecake Filling:
Cream cheese, full fat, at room temperature – 32 ounces
Granulated sugar – 8.50 ounces
Heavy cream, full fat, at room temperature – 5.50 ounces
Eggs, at room temperature – 6
All purpose flour – 3 ½ tablespoons
- Place all the ingredients on your kitchen counter and let them sit for a few hours until they become at room temperature.
- Put a thin wet towel on a plate, then put on top of it the phyllo sheets and cover them with another thin wet towel so they don’t dry.
- Start by preheating the oven to 392 F.
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and spread them, then bake them in the oven for 6 to 10 minutes until they become golden brown.
- Once the time is up, place the walnuts aside to cool down, then reduce the oven heat to 356 F.
- Transfer the walnuts to a food processor then pulse them several times until they become finely chopped then place them aside.
- To prepare the cheesecake filling, combine the granulated sugar with cream cheese in a large mixing bowl, then mix them well until they become smooth and light.
- Add the eggs with flour and mix them well until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Add in the heavy cream then combine them well until they become well incorporated without over mixing them.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 inches springform pan generously with melted butter.
- Place two sheets of phyllo pastry in the bottom of the greased cheesecake pan then brush them with butter then sprinkle on top of them some walnuts. Arrange the phyllo sheets so that they cover the bottom and the sides of the pan.
- Cover the walnuts layer again with 2 phyllo sheets and brush them with butter, then sprinkle some walnuts on top of them.
- Repeat the process 2 more times, then cover them again with 2 sheets of phyllo pastry.
- Pour the cheesecake filling on top of the sheets and smooth it down.
- Use a scissor to cut the edges of the phyllo sheets that are hanging on the sides then arrange them on top of the cheesecake nicely while leaving the middle empty.
- Genlty brush the pieces of phyllo pastry with some butter then place it in the oven and let it bake for 45 minutes.
- Once the time is up, remove the sides of the pan then bake the cheese again for 24 minutes until the sides become golden brown and crunchy.
- In the meantime, start preparing the syrup by combining the honey with water, sugar, cinnamon stick, lemon zest, and juice in a saucepan over medium heat then let them cook for 6 to 12 minutes until the syrup becomes slightly thick.
- Once the syrup is down, gently remove the lemon zest slices and cinnamon stick from it, then stir in the rose water.
- Once the cheesecake is down, pour the syrup on top of it right after you pull it out of the oven while focusing on the areas covered with phyllo sheets on the top and the sides.
- Allow the cheesecake to cool down at room temperature for at least an hour, then place it in the fridge and let it sit for 3 hours.
- Once the time is up, garnish it with some walnuts then service it, and enjoy!
12 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 24g 120%
- Cholesterol 199mg 67%
- Sodium 481mg 21%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Potassium 290mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
- Sugars 42g
- Protein 14g 29%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Points To Know:
- When mixing the filling, you need to be gentle and make sure to not overmix it as well because it will cause the cheesecake to crack or not set properly.
- While laying the phyllo sheets, make sure to coat them generously with butter so they do dry out.
- The temperatures of ovens vary from one to another, so make sure to pull out the cheesecake when it becomes golden brown. If the top becomes golden brown in the first half of the baking, you can cover it with a piece of foil then put it back in to bake the sides of it.
How Can I Store Baklava Cheesecake?
You can definitely store this baklava cheesecake in the fridge for up to 3 days. If your cheesecake is already sliced, then you simply have to wrap the slices in a plastic wrap gently and cover them with foil, then put them in a heavy container. If your cheesecake is not sliced, then you just have to wrap it with plastic wrap and cover it completely with a piece of foil, then you can freeze it.
If it’s sliced, the slices will be good for up to 4 weeks, if it is not sliced then the cheesecake could last you up to 2 months.
To defrost it, you just have to transfer it from the freezer to the fridge and let it sit for at least 8 to 12 hours. Some cheesecakes might take longer, so if you need to serve it the next day, make sure to place it in the fridge at night so it can have enough time to thaw. Once the time is up, I highly recommend baking it again for 5 to 10 minutes so the phyllo sheets become crunchy again, then serve it with more syrup.
Can Use Puff Pastry To Make Baklava Cheesecake?
Absolutely not! Puff pastry is slightly thicker than phyllo pastry, so it doesn’t make a good alternative to be used for the baklava cheesecake.
Can I Substitute Walnuts With Another Nut For The Baklava Cheesecake?
Absolutely! You can feel free to use pistachios or hazelnuts, they will taste great as well!
Classic baklava combined with a classic cheese to make an incredible baklava cheesecake! The right amount of sweetness, the creamy texture of the cheesecake with the crunchiness of the phyllo pastry that is drenched in syrup is a heavenly experience.